Relief From Acid Reflux Without Surgical Incision
Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication (TIF) is a new surgical procedure that offers relief from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) without surgical incisions. Luis Reyes, MD, FACS, FASMBS and Ralph Alhalel, MD, Gastroenterologist, are the only physicians in South Texas who currently perform the procedure. TIF is a less invasive restoration of the anti-reflux barrier that does not require internal incisions or dissection. Most patients are able to return home the next day and return to work and normal activities within a few days.
During the procedure, with the patient under general anesthesia, surgeons insert a device equipped with a small camera through the patient’s mouth toward the stomach. Surgeons manipulate the device to make and fasten several folds of tissue (plications) and create an anti-reflux valve at the connection of the stomach and esophagus. After two years, the majority of TIF patients are able to return to eating foods that they could not previously tolerate and are able to stop taking medication.
Candidates for TIF
Patients suffering from GERD are candidates for TIF if they:
- Regularly experience troublesome symptoms of GERD
- No longer respond adequately to pharmaceutical therapies
- Are concerned about the long-term effects of taking proton pump inhibitors
- Are considering surgery but are concerned about complications and potential side effects of laparoscopic antireflux surgery
Benefits of TIF
Benefits of TIF include:
- No external skin incisions or scarring
- No internal cutting, leading to a more rapid recovery
- Does not limit future treatment options
- Can be revised if required
Make an appointment for GERD treatment
Luis Reyes, MD, FACS, FASMBS, is Medical Director of Bariatrics at McAllen Heart Hospital. Dr. Reyes has been performing surgery for over 15 years and specializes in general, vascular and weight-loss surgery. To make an appointment with Dr. Reyes, please contact Valley Care Clinics Weight Loss Surgery Center at 956-630-4161.
To make an appointment with Ralph Alhalel, MD, Gastroenterologist, please call 956-661-9300.